Friday, November 27, 2009

Family Tradition...

The true meaning, to me, behind Thanksgiving is giving thanks for the long-ago hospitality shown to our ancestors by the Native Americans.  Without their assistance it's questionable if any of us would be here today.  Over the years as our family traditions evolved so have our Thanksgiving dishes.  I thought it would be interesting to see how many different dishes are served as a family tradition at this time of year.  I'll start.

My Mother and Grandmother always made their version of Waldorf Salad.  Our version includes apples, dates, grapes, celery and walnuts.  The dressing was simple, mayo with sugar (honey if you prefer) and a splash of milk if needed.  If it was a really good year, the salad would be dressed with whipping cream.  It's simple and always reminds me of the special family times shared with loved ones.

Okay, your turn, what dishes mean "holidays" to you and your family?

This was my last kitchen before we became full time RVers.  I painted the skirt on the island that my husband made for me.  The top was a solid piece of Larch that he cut down years before in Montana.  The skirt was patterned after the canister that my son, Chris, gave me.  I really do miss the kitchen and the home we had.


 

2 comments:

  1. It would not be thanksgiving without our scalloped Oysters with lots of fresh oysters, butter, cream, crushed saltines, and salt and pepper. This dish was always prepared by my English grandmother and is absolutely delicious. We also have creamed baby onions every year - also from my grandmother. Of course, at Christmas, we always have suet pudding, which the children call "fire cake" because we flame it with brandy before serving. Oh, such great traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Waldorf salad. I haven't had any in a while. Thank you for reminding me how much I like it.

    We always have my mother's plum pudding at Christmas, with her special rum sauce. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it.

    Aren't traditions wonderful? They are the threads the tie the generations together.

    ReplyDelete